Timber Purchasing and Processing Policy
Browns Garden Buildings are committed to protecting the environment and ensure that their suppliers share that same commitment. They are committed to protecting the environment through the implementation and maintenance of its Timber Purchasing and Processing policy. The Timber Purchasing Policy contains the following aims:
- To have systems in place to ensure timber purchased meets the Forest Stewardship Council®, forest certification scheme requirements.
- Not to purchase timber species detailed on the Convention of International Trade Endangered Species (CITES) List Appendix 1 and 2.
- The Company shall maintain certification in the Forest Stewardship Councils Chain of Custody scheme requirements and will ensure the scheme requirements are fully implemented within The Company’s Management Systems.
- The Company will ensure information provided to interested parties relating to the source of timber is accurate and not misleading.
- The Company will ensure that all employees associated with the Timber Purchasing and Processing Policy are given the appropriate education and training in Chain of Custody requirements.
- The Timber Purchasing and Processing Policy will be reviewed on an annual basis.
What is Chain of Custody?
In recent years, there has been a huge increase in public and corporate interest in environmental issues. Nowhere is this more evident than the move towards certifying timber and timber products to demonstrate that these have come from responsible sources.
Chain of Custody certification is the unbroken path which products take from the forest to the consumer, including all stages of manufacturing, transportation and distribution. Chain of Custody certification provides evidence that the certified product originates from well managed forests and other controlled sources.
What is FSC®?
FSC® Stands for Forest Stewardship Council®, it is an internationally recognised forest products chain of custody certification scheme. Certification in the scheme provides customers with reassurance that material and products are sourced from responsible sources.
What FSC® system is used by The Company?
The Company is operating the transfer system. As detailed in Section 7 of the FSC® Standard FSC-STD-40-004 (Version 3) EN.
Reasons for implementation of Chain of Custody
• Demonstrates good environmental practice as well as protecting natural resources.
• Allows The Company to be in a position able to fulfill our customer’s future requirements.
Timber Trade Federation
Forest Stewardship Council®
View Certificate here
Wood for Good Campaign
North West Timber Trade Association